2016 WLIA MAP AND POSTER COMPETITION
It’s time to start thinking about a poster to enter in the poster competition.
It is always fun and interesting to see what others have been working on in the past year. The poster competition is a great opportunity to share your best work with others who appreciate quality cartography and innovation. Awards will be presented for the best entries in each category, Best Student, People’s Choice, and President’s Choice.
Poster Competition Registration
- Register your entries online.
Go to: https://www.wlia.org/annual-conference/poster-competition/
Fill out all required fields. Please take time to pick the appropriate category to submit your poster(s). A map can only be entered in one category. On-site registration will also be available at the conference from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Thursday morning at the conference; however you are encouraged to use online registration.
- Bring a hardcopy (and digital copy if not submitted online) of your poster to the registration table at the conference on Thursday morning. All entries must include a hardcopy and digital version. No printing facilities are available at the conference.
- Base Map: very useful, complete, documented, not flashy map showing your data.
- Small Format Map: any size B or smaller (17” x 11”); any theme; any scale or extent.
- Thematic Map: great cartography – design, layout, labeling, annotation, color and appeal for a purpose.
- Map Poster: informative, eye-catching, colorful, and interesting (not just a map; tells a story).
- Black and White Map: any format and theme, but no hue… a special problem in design.
- Brochure: any format and theme, used for public information or marketing purposes.
- Map Book or Atlas: must be a bound and easy to use map series for any theme.
- Most Unique: Unconventional, creative presentation, unique subject and/or materials.
- Interactive Web-Based Mapping Site — Provide URL (Submissions due Feb. 1 at midnight for pre-judging).